March 6, 2020
Dear Agemark Family Members,
As predicted, the Coronavirus (COVID 19) is presenting a rapidly evolving health care situation. This communication is to update you on our most recent decisions related to preventing exposure to our residents and staff.
At this time, we are directing our California Communities to observe the following precautions:
- Suspend participation in scheduled activities out of the building that include exposure to groups of people (i.e. malls, movie theaters, casinos, schools, etc.)
- Suspend visits from entertainers/volunteers who also go to other senior living communities
- Use caution when going out for activities – wash hands before leaving and upon returning, and sanitize the bus after outings (spray Lysol on soft surfaces and clean hard surfaces with quaternary cleaner)
- Limit non-essential visits by business partners and/or vendors to our buildings
In addition, all Communities are required to follow these procedures:
- Do not allow staff to work if they have a cough, fever, or shortness of breath
- Post “Stop sign to Visitors” sign; monitor visitors for cough and/or respiratory compromise symptoms, ask them to leave the community if noted.
- Post hand washing signs at the entry with alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Ensure that residents wash their hands with soap and water for 20 seconds before meals
- Review our cleaning products, to ensure they meet the recommended criteria
- Monitor residents for cough, fever, shortness of breath. We have an activation plan if our residents present with symptoms.
Precautionary interventions will be lifted as soon as is clinically prudent.
We continue to follow and review our Infectious Process Containment Policies and Procedures to ensure they are still applicable, and will make changes as needed. We will keep you updated if the CDC makes new information available or we become aware of any recommendations that would impact our residents, employees, families or visitors.
Terri Jo Goldsmith RN-BC, CRRN, CDP
Corporate Nurse, Agemark